Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.
Mirrors for thermal imaging - Printable Version

+- Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here. (http://forum.infraredtraining.com)
+-- Forum: Thermography (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Thermography Applications (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Mirrors for thermal imaging (/showthread.php?tid=174)

Mirrors for thermal imaging - dpocius - 05-28-2013 07:08 PM

Hello,

I need to image an inaccessible area at about 100C-200C for purposes of temperature uniformity mapping. The geometry is such that I'll need a 45 degree mirror to see the target area. I'm using a FLIR i7 for this. The mirror will get warm in the process. Does anyone have an idea what to use for such a mirror, considering the 7-13 micron wavelength range involved? I'm more interested in spot-to-spot temperature differences rather than accurate absolute temperature. Thanks, all!

RE: Mirrors for thermal imaging - Bobberry - 05-29-2013 08:50 AM

(05-28-2013 07:08 PM)dpocius Wrote:  Hello,

I need to image an inaccessible area at about 100C-200C for purposes of temperature uniformity mapping. The geometry is such that I'll need a 45 degree mirror to see the target area. I'm using a FLIR i7 for this. The mirror will get warm in the process. Does anyone have an idea what to use for such a mirror, considering the 7-13 micron wavelength range involved? I'm more interested in spot-to-spot temperature differences rather than accurate absolute temperature. Thanks, all!

Any polished metal will do, aluminium works well, but if you need temperature you will need to measure reflectivity correctly and compensate for it. The i7 will not really allow the compensation in the camera, but you may be able to do it in the software.

Please do not make the mistake of thinking that just because you are only interested in differences that you don't to worry about entering all the values correctly. If you enter incorrect values, or do not compensate correctly it will affect the temperature difference measured too. Your mistake will be different on each component measured.

RE: Mirrors for thermal imaging - JKEngineer - 05-29-2013 09:28 AM

I agree with Bob.
I see that you are in the US. You can use this:
Item 8202K11 - Corrosion-Resistant Aluminum (Alloy 5052), #8 Mirror Finish, .032" Thick, 12" X 12"
from McMaster Carr with good results.
Jack

Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

Bronx, NY 10463

718-884-6644
866-884-6644 toll free

JKEngineer_@ _aol.com or JKEnginee_r@_KleinfeldTechnical.com
come see what we can do for you: http://www.KleinfeldTechnical.com
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/KleinfeldTechnical
[font=tahoma][/font]

RE: Mirrors for thermal imaging - Gary Orlove - 06-26-2013 04:40 PM

Consider using a stainless steel signal or camping mirror. Very low cost, durable, high performance, and readily available.