Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Transmittance in molded plastic parts
02-04-2014, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 12:49 PM by Bobberry.)
RE: Transmittance in molded plastic parts
I don’t see any other option other than using a camera with the correct filter fitted, particularly if you need measurement. This may mean, that for different polymers, you would need different filters. There may be some common properties that would allow one filter to be used on a number of polymers.

You have a semi transparent material, and a component in a transient state, this is almost impossible to deal with as a combination. I assume from your post that you are looking at components that are cooling, this means that the inside will be warmer than the surface, your camera is seeing radiation emitted from the surface of the object, and some energy transmitted from the hotter inside, and some energy transmitted through the component. There is no way to separate these out, and to measure the surface temperature you would have to be able to separate them.

Also on the thicker part, you still have emitted energy from the surface and energy transmitted through from the hot inside. I think that true accurate temperature measurement is not possible without a filter. However without the measurement, you might be still able to figure out what is happening, but it may take a bit of playing around. You have a real challenge, I love stuff like this.

BTW, what camera are you using?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Transmittance in molded plastic parts - Bobberry - 02-04-2014 12:48 PM