Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Aerial Thermal Inspection - Landfill
01-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Aerial Thermal Inspection - Landfill
[/font][font=Arial,sans-serif]Good day all, I am interested in providing aerial thermal inspections for landfills as a means to reducing (or eliminating) the potential of surface level combustion. In addition, I would like to be able to identify gas emmissions (methane, carbon dioxide etc.). Would be grateful if anyone would enlighten me with information or guide me toward resources that would assist in this endeavor.
[font=Times New Roman][/font]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 11:15 AM
RE: Aerial Thermal Inspection - Landfill
Specially tuned cameras are required to locate specific types of gas emissions. These can also be used for general thermography applications as well.
See http://www.flir.com/thermography/america.../?id=49558 for more information and application notes.
01-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks Gary. i have a FLIR T420....Can it be modified to detect methane and/or other gases?
01-05-2013, 07:58 PM
(01-04-2013 02:05 PM)dontehunt Wrote:  Thanks Gary. i have a FLIR T420....Can it be modified to detect methane and/or other gases?

Hi,
Where abouts are you located, I have done considerable work in landfills and may be able to assist you.
Perhaps you can send me your e-mail address.
Best of Luck
01-08-2013, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 07:55 AM by Bobberry.)
Your T420 cannot be modified as a gasfind camera. Gasfind work requires a camera specifically manufactured for this purpose.

You will be able to survey the landfill to locate certain problems (but not see the gas), I have done some of this type of work before, including damaged caps and underground fires. Your T420 is not really suitable for Aerial thermography though, except in limited circumstances, it is always better to use a system designed for aerial work. If you are going to use a handheld camera from a helicopter, I would recommend using a gyrostabiliser, there are a few handheld ones designed for handheld cameras, and they will help a lot.

Other than that you can work from platforms, and sometimes you can get satisfactory results from the ground level on landfills.

http://www.thermalvision.ie
01-30-2013, 07:31 PM
You might visit the minds over at NACBI (http://www.nacbi.com/) there are a couple of gentleman doing the aerial Infrared that might be able to help out, visit the forum and post your questions there.