Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pipe Insulation severity
10-06-2013, 03:47 AM
Pipe Insulation severity
Dear Thermographer,

Could you all help me how to categorize the severity on pipe insulation CUI Inspection?. Found the anomaly heat pattern but still confuse to categorize it after i done some research on CUI Thermography. Refer image below.

After several consideration, i think more easily to understand if i use Delta T as a reference guideline. Anyone have idea to share, any source or case study related to this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2013, 07:57 AM
RE: Pipe Insulation severity
I am not sure you are seeing CUI in this image. Here are my concerns:

- the insulation jackets probably have a fairly low emissivity. They are not clean and shiny, indicating that they are not down at e=0.1, but 0.9 may be too high. If you have not measured the emissivity, you should do so.

- the hot area appears to be related to a drip or leak, based on shape and orientation. There also appears to be deposits on the surface in the photo. These will likely increase the emissivity and raise the apparent temperature. At the joint there is both a rust area and a gap, both will likely drive the apparent temperature up and also indicate a problem.

- I would be concerned about the elevated temperature of the full length jacket section immediately next to elbow on the horizontal section.

- It would be helpful if you can post the process and outdoor and ambient temperature conditions.

HTH,
Jack

Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

Bronx, NY 10463

718-884-6644
866-884-6644 toll free

JKEngineer at aol.com or JKEngineer at KleinfeldTechnical.com
come see what we can do for you: http://www.KleinfeldTechnical.com
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/KleinfeldTechnical

[font=tahoma][/font]

Jack Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
1-718-884-6644
10-07-2013, 10:50 AM
http://www.thermalvision.ie/2013/08/cui-...rmography/
10-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Thank you JK Engineer and Bobberry for information given.

From the analysis, yes i'm sure that is a problem with the area suspected. Agree with you JKEngineer, that the surface emissivity is higher since there is no reflected Temp.

Anyway after done inspection few area at this LNG plant its really hard to do classification because some area process is up to 300degC and -40degC and again i agree with article post by Bobberry.

So, i conclude that not to do classification but to do further examination using other technique.
10-08-2013, 11:23 AM
A sensible decision.