Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Emissivity issue
02-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Emissivity issue
I'm trying to find a starting point for Emissivity inside a Crude Heater. The heater has no TI's and the metal of the tubes are A335 P5. The tubes are seamless and the heater has been in service for awhile. Also, the tubes have scaling issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: Emissivity issue
Take a look at the following threads for discussions on this:

Heater emissivity

Furnace Tube Emissivity
02-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Gary,
Thanks for the response, unfortunately when I click on the links they aren't working?
02-21-2014, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2014 01:51 PM by Gary Orlove.)
(02-21-2014 01:23 PM)BLKNGOLD Wrote:  Gary,
Thanks for the response, unfortunately when I click on the links they aren't working?

I can't understand why. I have tested the links in 3 different browsers and they opened up just fine in each. Ask your IT department for help.

Also, you might want to start with an emissivity of 0.85, that's just a wild guess. Entering the reflected temperature is almost more important than the emissivity for these measurements.

I have attached 3 white papers for you as well.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  2013-074 Whitcher (secure).pdf (Size: 608.46 KB / Downloads: 54)
.pdf  2009-090 Cronholm.pdf (Size: 585.11 KB / Downloads: 37)
.pdf  2006-05 Coleman.pdf (Size: 206.61 KB / Downloads: 35)
09-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Gary,
I have read the papers mentioned above, one contradicts the other? I know that their are theories out there on which is the best practice. (What is the BEST practice) I try and read everything I can get my hands on to provide the most accurate IR reports. I can honestly say after 6 years of looking at "tubes" I still have some uncertainties when it comes to "Tube Temperature". In my experience, Engineers only care if the "tube temps match their TI temps". I try to explain that IR has limitations, especially tube temps at "burner elevation levels". I've found plenty of issues dealing with (coke and scale) over the years. They see the scale looking "hotter" on the tubes in the IR reports and ask why I didn't put my spot meters on the "hottest part of the tube"? I have to explain that its scale and NOT the actual tube. I guess my question is... Does anyone else out there feel this way? I feel like I'm on an island with NO backup. The only training for "Furnace Tube Inspection" is what I've learned on my own through forums and internet research. My colleague went through the Level I Furnace Inspections class and honestly I've looked at the training manual. It contains very little about Furnace Inspection, In my opinion its more of a Level I in IR with a hint of Furnace. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Thermal Camera Lagging or hang issue Maznan 7 0 01-06-2019 12:44 AM
Last Post: Maznan