Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Emissivity for Rotary Kiln and Satelite Cooler
03-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Emissivity for Rotary Kiln and Satelite Cooler
Can you tell me the best emissivity to use for a rotary kiln shell? During training I asked the question and was told 0.90 since it is a fairly good emitter being a dark, rusty surface. A colleague has been using 0.69 (iron, rusty per the emissivity tables). Can you please settle which is best for us to use for monitoring kiln shell temperature profile. Temperature accuracy is important.
Also - one of our kilns has Stainless Steel Satelite Cooler shell which is oxidized. According to the emissivity table we should use a 0.85 -- though my colleague has been using the 0.69 here as well. I am suggesting to him that he start using 0.85. Please confirm.
Thanks for your assistance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2014, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2014 06:34 PM by acardoso.)
RE: Emissivity for Rotary Kiln and Satelite Cooler
If temperature accuracy is important, you have to determine Trefl and emissivity. You cannot use emissivity tables, or ear say.
Try to implement my method described on the link http://forum.infraredtraining.com/showth...hp?tid=179
António

(03-04-2014 05:52 PM)SuzTaylor Wrote:  Can you tell me the best emissivity to use for a rotary kiln shell? During training I asked the question and was told 0.90 since it is a fairly good emitter being a dark, rusty surface. A colleague has been using 0.69 (iron, rusty per the emissivity tables). Can you please settle which is best for us to use for monitoring kiln shell temperature profile. Temperature accuracy is important.
Also - one of our kilns has Stainless Steel Satelite Cooler shell which is oxidized. According to the emissivity table we should use a 0.85 -- though my colleague has been using the 0.69 here as well. I am suggesting to him that he start using 0.85. Please confirm.
Thanks for your assistance.
09-15-2014, 03:48 AM
RE: Emissivity for Rotary Kiln and Satelite Cooler
Hi there

I work with rotary kilns on a daily basis. The shell material on ours is normal carbon steel. I have tested the emissivity to be between 0.93 and 0.96 on the kiln shell. I have not yet tested the satellite coolers.

Regards