Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Risk Assessment of serious injury due to burns on a hot surface with infrared cameras
04-07-2014, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2014 11:59 AM by acardoso.)
Risk Assessment of serious injury due to burns on a hot surface with infrared cameras
In Nature, material with low emissivity doesn’t exist. Before the creation of artificial materials, burning by touching a hot surface without being aware of temperature wasn’t possible, because there weren’t any materials with high reflectivity to mislead us. As industrialization increase, the amount of artificial materials surrounding us also increase and a new risk started freighting us, severe burning by touching.

The combination of traditional techniques for temperature measurement with infrared cameras can provide us the needed assessment for this kind risk.

Infrared cameras with emissivity set to ±97% “feel” temperature like us, humans. This human like felt temperature combined with the real temperature measured by a contact thermometer provide us the level of awareness to a hot surface related to his real temperature.

The temperature of body plus his thermal resistance and his capacitance allow the calculus of the amount of heat transferred to the contacting body, and consequently the rise of temperature or the level of burning.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:11 PM
I
I disagree. Pick up a rock that was in a campfire and you'll get a serious burn even though it's not emitting a wavelength short enough to be seen.
04-10-2014, 04:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 04:31 AM by acardoso.)
RE: I
I am not talking about "seeing", but "feeling". The perception of heat is done by the skin. We, animals, don't need to have a stone glowing, to know if the stone is hot or cold. Our sense "Thermoception" provides this information to the brain.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Human Temperature Measurement with Infrared Cameras acardoso 14 20,492 07-20-2015 06:57 AM
Last Post: acardoso