Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Buy a camera before or after training?
05-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Buy a camera before or after training?
I am getting into the Thermal Imaging field, but as this time I do not own a thermal camera. I noticed there is an up coming Level I training class in my area, and it's the only class that will be in my area for the foreseeable future, so I want to jump on it while I can.

Now, I can't imagine showing up to a photography class without a camera. But on the other hand, due to the more complex nature of this field, part of me assumes it would be best to get the training and then purchase a camera once I have a better understanding of thermal imaging.

And given the very wide range in prices on these cameras, I certainly do not want to rush to judgement on which model will best suite me.

So would it be normal to show up for Level 1 training not having a camera?

Thank you for your time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2014, 05:57 AM
RE: Buy a camera before or after training?
While I appreciate your concern, and think that your decision to wait has some merit, please consider that you may not have a camera to yourself unless you bring one with you. At best you will have to share, and it is likely to be quite different to the one you are considering buying. I suggest that you speak to a sales distributor, ask if they will rent you the camera that you are thinking about buying, and if so will they credit the rental cost against the camera purchase price in the event that you buy. If not ask them if they know anyone that will rent you a camera for the duration of the course.

Not having your own camera with you will not prevent you from attending, and you will still learn a great deal, but it would be better if you could use the course to truly evaluate the camera that you are thinking about purchasing.
05-19-2014, 12:15 PM
RE: Buy a camera before or after training?
Thank you for the response.

I will investigate rentals. Or I suppose I will just need to hurry up and choose a camera.