Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tools support in inspections
05-20-2014, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 06:47 AM by Wieslaw.)
Tools support in inspections
When on the long thermographic inspection, it's often not enough hands to hold all - IR camera, visible camera, light, moist meter, and most important - to record notes abt situation, both on paper or tablet....

Does anyone in practice use some support for this ? I imagine a place where one can put down and fix the tool not needed in the moment, and have stable place for writing .. and it might be improvement for stability when capturing images..
My camera (Flir i60) does not have the tripod mount, so considering any other forms of supports or brackets, too..

Could you please point me to something helpful ? Thanks in advance !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2014, 01:54 PM
RE: Tools support in inspections
Wieslaw, sorry, but you have an entry-level camera. With a best camera you can mount it on a tripod, save vocal comments for 60 seconds that allows you to say many informations, take visual picture. some models allows you to catch 5 visual images and save them with the same infrared file, so you can shot a photo to the moisture mter readings, temperature or humidity redaings, surroundings, etc. Or some models has bluetooth that save data with image. I know this is not a response for you, but it's a thing to consider prior to buy an imager. A used thermal imager with these features may be a solution.
06-02-2014, 03:34 AM
Hi Davide - thanks for a word.
My camera has all the functions you write about - except the tripod mount. Its resolution is 180x180 px and generally it is very well suited for most inspections. (Well, I'd happy to have the new one but it is not possible - it never pays themself off providing market where I live and my marketing skills...)
I'd like to say however, for inspection I need much more equipment: (1) my glasses, (2) paper and pencil for taking notes, or tablet in the near future (3) backup battery (4) moisture meter, (5) an external light. Sometimes anemometer, rangefinder, compass. Have not enough pockets, not to mention the hands..

Making notes when holding the camera - is tedious. Or taking stable pictures when holding paper and pen in the other hand. Tablet is much less resistant to falls..
I do not like voice notes to record in camera, it is lot more buutons to record, and to work with them after. The built-in visual camera is 2Mpx and fairly narrow angle - I prefer normal one, with buil-in flash lamp!
Thus, I really need them all...

So I am still courious - how others, more expierienced, deal with this amount of things in the field.
I imagined tripod or other stand as a place to put off what not needed at the moment, and holding kind of shelf for notebook or tablet, and some grip to stabilise camera when taking shot (say, after climbing 4th 4th floor of an apartment block, when whole body trembling, and hands shaking..).

Appreciate any ideas, pictures, etc..

Thanks again for your attention,
Greetings
06-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Have you tried Home Depot, Lowes, or other building supply big box stores? They have tons of tool pouches to fit almost any need. Some you wear, some have shoulder straps, some even have wheels. Give them a try.