Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Starting up Thermography program
01-30-2015, 04:35 AM
Starting up Thermography program
Hi, Completed my level 1 back in July last year. Now im trying to implement a program at our refinery in the UK so im after some advice. Does anyone know of any type of stamdard from which to build a foundation program for quantative thermographic surveys of mainly electrical equipment, distribution and motors under 1000v.
After some research all I could find was two publications on the HSE website detailing basic surveying safety and other info but these date to 1999/97 by BSRIA. http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/inform...esting.htm
Are there any ISO standards in the UK for action levels?
If anyone can please point me in the right direction for some firm direction on action levels which we can incorpoate into a company program, then I would be most greatful. Idea
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2015, 11:04 AM
RE: Starting up Thermography program
Hi,
If you would like to pm me I can give you some good pointers having completed the same process myself.

Andy
01-31-2015, 05:33 AM
I would suggest ISO 18436 & 18434. Also download the CM GEN documents from BINDT.

There are no regulatory standards in the UK specific to action levels. This is correctly left so as different industries can work within their own specific needs.

Motors are not easy, as there are many different winding classifications and frame types, all of which can have different profiles. You must also remember that thermography can tell you if a motor is hot, but it cannot really tell you why it is hot, if you need to know why it is hot, then you need some other technology.
02-05-2015, 10:01 AM
(01-31-2015 05:33 AM)Bobberry Wrote:  I would suggest ISO 18436 & 18434. Also download the CM GEN documents from BINDT.

There are no regulatory standards in the UK specific to action levels. This is correctly left so as different industries can work within their own specific needs.

Motors are not easy, as there are many different winding classifications and frame types, all of which can have different profiles. You must also remember that thermography can tell you if a motor is hot, but it cannot really tell you why it is hot, if you need to know why it is hot, then you need some other technology.
Thanks Bobbery, I have also implemented a VA program and hope to use this in conjunction with VA.
Thanks for the ISO standard pointer and we are looking to purchase those publications.