Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Comparing Common Components VS Ambient Temperature
07-20-2015, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 12:51 PM by bgutierrez.)
Comparing Common Components VS Ambient Temperature
    I am performing some large scale inspections on utility transformers and have noted on a few occasions all the lightning arrestors appear to be passing some current and are reading warmer than the conductors they are attached to. Can someone let me know if it would be beneficial to compare the arrestor to the conductor even though they are not the same type of device or should i compare it to the ambient temperature. Or would it be okay to compare it to another arrestor passing current as well. I sincerely appreciate your insight in this matter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2015, 02:25 PM
RE: Comparing Common Components VS Ambient Temperature
To have some possibility of comparison, you need to establish if the emissivity of the conductors and the cables is the same. At least.

Don't forget we call a wrong name to the thermograms, we should call them radiograms or radiothermograms.

Never forget this, a thermogram is always a radiation map. When we are lucky, is also a temperature map, 0.01%.

It is a question of ergonomics, expressing the radiation received by the detector in a temperature unit.

The temperature displayed at a pixel, is function of magnitude of the Pointing vector in W/m2 impinging a pixel (radiation received), Trefl, Tatm, distance to the target and humidity set on the camera.

Meaning, if the parameters set on the camera match the reality, this amount of energy received by this pixel, correspond to this temperature. Nothing more.
07-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Ergonomics: The study of the relationship between workers and their environment, esp the equipment they use. Also called biotechnology
07-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Please see the attached documents for an in-depth analysis and case history of arrestors.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  2003-037 Strmiska.pdf (Size: 570.92 KB / Downloads: 35)
.pdf  2001-08 Sullivan Jeff 2001.pdf (Size: 318.13 KB / Downloads: 25)
.pdf  2006-65 Galindo.pdf (Size: 689.45 KB / Downloads: 25)
.pdf  2012-037 Leonard.pdf (Size: 1.21 MB / Downloads: 28)
07-22-2015, 09:33 AM
It is a issue of ergonomics, presenting the amount of irradiated radiation in temperature unit. Is rather complicate for us to deal with W/m2, we are not used to do it.
07-23-2015, 05:31 AM
I would not recommend comparing the arrestor to the conductor, or the ambient. Different types of arrestors may require a different approach, but you really need to understand the arrestor, what it is doing, and what it should be doing.

Read the papers attached by Gary.
07-24-2015, 12:18 PM
For sure

(07-23-2015 05:31 AM)Bobberry Wrote:  I would not recommend comparing the arrestor to the conductor, or the ambient. Different types of arrestors may require a different approach, but you really need to understand the arrestor, what it is doing, and what it should be doing.

Read the papers attached by Gary.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A common scenario when working with Flir Studio acardoso 3 0 03-22-2019 11:34 AM
Last Post: bdayyani
  Thermal Imaging for mechanical components Nishantkumar 5 10,205 07-18-2012 11:15 PM
Last Post: chicago infrared