Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thermal Imaging Camera
02-24-2016, 01:54 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 01:56 AM by omputpu.)
Thermal Imaging Camera
I am looking for kind advice for what kind of cooled camera (SWIR or MWIR) can be used for thermal imaging during welding.
Welding types are arc welding, plasma arc welding and friction stir welding. temp. range upto 3000 deg C. I want to acquire temperature profile during welding process.
SWIR would be first choice as SWIR is less sensitive to emissivity.
On the other hand MWIR could be chosen because, during welding, flame is generated and IR camera need to see through flame. I think FLIR cooled MWIR X6540sc has the option to work with through flame filters unlike SWIR.

Please advise me.

Thanks.

Omprakash Mukherjee
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2016, 08:05 AM
RE: Thermal Imaging Camera
(02-24-2016 01:54 AM)omputpu Wrote:  I am looking for kind advice for what kind of cooled camera (SWIR or MWIR) can be used for thermal imaging during welding.
Welding types are arc welding, plasma arc welding and friction stir welding. temp. range upto 3000 deg C. I want to acquire temperature profile during welding process.
SWIR would be first choice as SWIR is less sensitive to emissivity.
On the other hand MWIR could be chosen because, during welding, flame is generated and IR camera need to see through flame. I think FLIR cooled MWIR X6540sc has the option to work with through flame filters unlike SWIR.

Please advise me.

Thanks.

Omprakash Mukherjee

This is a difficult question to answer.

I agree that SWIR is less sensitive to emissivity issues, but it is more sensitive to high temperature reflections, and I think you will have so many reflection issues that it will be difficult to use.

The X6540 has a filter wheel and you will be able to fit a flame filter without a problem. However, I would think that it is producing plasma rather than a flame.
01-04-2019, 03:09 PM
RE: Thermal Imaging Camera
I am studying the human body energy field and want to know if someone have seen a circular energy form (low emissivity) around or just outside the human body ? It seems possible that we produced a form of energy around our body. Has anyone observed this ? Or saw this before ? You can contact me at micheldion36@outlook.com or by cell at 514-250-3466. Looking forward.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can thermal imaging be used to evaluate window glass performance? timoss 3 0 07-03-2018 03:40 AM
Last Post: Bobberry
  Mirrors for thermal imaging dpocius 3 6,486 06-26-2013 04:40 PM
Last Post: Gary Orlove
  Veterinary Thermal Imaging Course Vetel Diagnostics 0 3,928 04-22-2013 04:12 PM
Last Post: Vetel Diagnostics
  Thermal Imaging for mechanical components Nishantkumar 5 10,205 07-18-2012 11:15 PM
Last Post: chicago infrared
ITC Thermal Imaging of Glass Gary Orlove 3 7,032 07-12-2012 08:32 AM
Last Post: Gary Orlove