Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Light artifacts-Equine Thermal Imaging application
03-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Light artifacts-Equine Thermal Imaging application
Hi there, just new to this field of work and trying to recognize issues while in the field, so I can have clean images for my reports when I get back to the office.
Light artifacts are my question right now. I know what they are, and I know what can cause them but I am not 100% sure I am recognizing them when I am looking through my viewfinder while doing the job.
A sunbeam coming through a window, easy to see. But if an artificial light above the horse is causing a light artifact, or if natural light coming in from somewhere else is creating an issue, (Are Shadows an issue?)I am not recognizing that.

I did my course online so I was unable to address this in a classroom situation and now realizing that I need this shown to me somehow. Is there a video that can show an example as it is happening perhaps? While looking through the viewfinder? (I own a Flir E8) A moving horse can make things challenging enough, let alone making sure the image is clean. Smile

Thank you for any help you can give. Rolleyes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2016, 11:05 AM
RE: Light artifacts-Equine Thermal Imaging application
There can be "artifacts" found when using a thermography camera, so experience is a key to diagnosis. If legs have been wrapped, or blisters or liniments have been used, they will show up as areas with increased heat. If there is a strong breeze blowing through the barn, it also can affect imaging. Long hair coats are not as good as short hair coats in allowing infrared heat to escape (hair is an insulator). Horses which are clipped for winter with patterns of long and short hair also can present problems with imaging, as can horses with mud caked over parts of their bodies.

The motion of the horse must be controlled, as must be extraneous radiant energy (don't stand the horse with one side next to the open door of a warm tack room or in direct sunlight). The horse should be given 10 minutes or more to acclimatize to the area where the thermography imaging will be done.

See http://www.thehorse.com/articles/10460/t...for-horses
03-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Ok, That's understandable... Thank you. Smile
Next question,
1) What should I be setting the emissivity at for the hair on a horse?
2) If there ARE lights above the horse, should I set my reflected temperature for that? Or should I just turn them off, or move to another area is possible?
03-09-2016, 10:12 AM
(03-08-2016 01:28 PM)Pinpoint Wrote:  Ok, That's understandable... Thank you. Smile
Next question,
1) What should I be setting the emissivity at for the hair on a horse?
2) If there ARE lights above the horse, should I set my reflected temperature for that? Or should I just turn them off, or move to another area is possible?

Set your emissivity of 0.98. Use ambient temperature as the reflected temperature settings.
If your lighting will add heat to the hair or cause artifact reflections, either turn the lights off and let them cool, or use low temperature envelope lighting (LED) or fluorescent (but beware of hot ballasts).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Equine Thermography Course ThermografieCentrum 0 1,237 05-12-2016 09:25 AM
Last Post: ThermografieCentrum