Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Built-Up Roof with "Mineral Surface" & Longwave TIR
04-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Built-Up Roof with "Mineral Surface" & Longwave TIR
Greetings from Boise! I have a customer who is very keen on having a BUR with a mineral surface assayed. I'm familiar with membranes, but completely unfamiliar with this sort of BUR... It is a "granulated" surface apparently mopped onto an underlying board material, which is on top of a layer of insulation.

I cannot imagine a reliable use for LW TIR on such a surface, but figured I'd float the question in hopes of learning something. It's not a very large (e.g. 100,000sf) job so will not support renting a SW camera.

Thanks for any input...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2016, 04:38 PM
RE: Built-Up Roof with "Mineral Surface" & Longwave TIR
(04-12-2016 11:02 AM)redlens Wrote:  Greetings from Boise! I have a customer who is very keen on having a BUR with a mineral surface assayed. I'm familiar with membranes, but completely unfamiliar with this sort of BUR... It is a "granulated" surface apparently mopped onto an underlying board material, which is on top of a layer of insulation.

I cannot imagine a reliable use for LW TIR on such a surface, but figured I'd float the question in hopes of learning something. It's not a very large (e.g. 100,000sf) job so will not support renting a SW camera.

Thanks for any input...

I cannot see you having any problem with this. The mineral surface is a good emitter and has a diffuse surface, which makes it fairly easy. LW should be fine. It does depend on the underlining board material, but it should be okay.
04-13-2016, 04:50 PM
RE: Built-Up Roof with "Mineral Surface" & Longwave TIR
Thank you! I'll probably do the job just to see if we get any core samples that corroborate the TIR findings...