Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
General enquires about FLIR A65 and data interpretation
07-05-2016, 10:36 AM
General enquires about FLIR A65 and data interpretation
Hello eveybody,

we are an Italian company using UAV for different projects, among them we have been asked to use a thermographic camera to monitor tomato and corn fields for a project related to precision farming subject.
The Flir camera is the Flir A65, which thanks to its little dimensions can be lifted by our drones easily.

The aim of the project is to get a map showing the thermo differences inside the monitored field, to get the map we use a photogrammetric software that matches the images among them using automatic homologues points, to accomplish this result high overlap it is required.

The software can only digest two format, jpg and tiff.

Our Camera takes and records imagery just in this format : fff (which I have googled as FLIR FILE FORMAT).

First point:

I have a software which can convert fff files into jpeg, the result is a loss of all metadata.

Do you know any software which can convert fff files into jpg or tiff without loosing metadata, especially radiometric data?

Second Point:

attached you can find one of these picture we have got during our last flight, using FLIR TOOLS + you can see that there are a few parameters which must be set before flying using another software, these are:

Emissivity
Reflected temp
Object dist
Atmospheric temp
Lens Temp
Lens trnasmission
Humidity

Some of these are quite understandable but what can you tell me about:

Emissivity
Reflected temp
Lens trnasmission
Humidity

In the same image you can find a spot with its temperature around 0, actually that rectangle is an iron plate and its temperature was over 50° celsius for sure.

Can anybody tell me what's the reason of this error?

As you can understand I am a total newbie in this matter but if you can help I really will appreciate your support.

Attached File(s)
.zip  1970-01-01_01.12.51.029155758.zip (Size: 437.79 KB / Downloads: 8)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2016, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2016 09:13 AM by Gary Orlove.)
RE: General enquires about FLIR A65 and data interpretation
FLIR ResearchIR software can open an FFF and export as a radiometric jpg.
See http://www.flir.com/science/display/?id=51371

Emissivity: Values are between 0 and 1.0, defined as the thermal radiation emitted by a material in relation to the radiation emitted by a blackbody at the same temperature. Critical parameter for temperature measurements.
Reflected temp: The "apparent" temperature of the radiation impinging on a surface from the surroundings and reflected back to the infrared camera. Critical for temperature measurements, especially for low emissivity targets.
Lens transmission: The transmission of any external optics or IR window (in addition to the standard lens) that will reduce the amount of radiation reaching the detector.
Humidity: Part of an atmospheric transmission model (along with air temperature and distance to target) that adjusts temperature measurement to account for infrared loss traveling through a horizontal air path at sea level. Will be different for vertical air transmission. Use LOWTRAN to estimate this.

In the same image you can find a spot with its temperature around 0, actually that rectangle is an iron plate and its temperature was over 50° celsius for sure.

The iron plate has low emissivity and high reflectivity. Therefore it is reflecting the apparent temperature of the sky, which is always colder than air temperature, especially on clear days without low hanging clouds.

I suggest you avail yourself of a formal training course in order to properly evaluate your thermal images. Insufficient knowledge of these parameters will lead to errors in analysis.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply