Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Measuring Emissivity of a breaker
07-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Measuring Emissivity of a breaker
I feel like I am spinning my wheels. I am having trouble measuring the emissivity of a breaker. I have measured the trefl. and am trying to use electrical tape(.95) as my reference. Can someone please advise and possibly recommend a video on how to specifically measure emissivity using electrical tape as a reference? Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2016, 05:11 AM
RE: Measuring Emissivity of a breaker
It is hard to advise without knowing what the problem is. What exactly is the issue?
01-19-2017, 11:04 AM
(07-12-2016 05:13 PM)wallbanger Wrote:  I feel like I am spinning my wheels. I am having trouble measuring the emissivity of a breaker. I have measured the trefl. and am trying to use electrical tape(.95) as my reference. Can someone please advise and possibly recommend a video on how to specifically measure emissivity using electrical tape as a reference? Thanks.
If I'm not mistaken. The most basic way is to apply the tape to the surface your trying to measure with emissivity set to 95. take measurement, log it, remove tape, take measurement, and adjust emissivity until temperature matches the temperature you got with the tape. and that should give you the emissivity.

In my experience your usually going to find them at 95 emissivity.
01-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Measuring something like a breaker, which not knowing what type of breaker I'll assume it's black plastic or bakelight, there's a pretty good chance it is right about .95. Try it on something else. A pop can that looks like it has some bare aluminum still has a clear overcoat and in my experience will be about .70. By the way you do know that your target has to be above ambient temperature I hope. If it's about the same as your ambient temperature you cannot measure the emissivity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Breaker Probable Deficiency Maznan 2 0 12-11-2018 07:45 PM
Last Post: Maznan
  measuring surface temperature of wet wood adupleix 4 3,626 07-25-2016 03:18 PM
Last Post: JKEngineer