Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Busbar question
10-26-2017, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2017 02:36 PM by Dexla.)
Busbar question
hi guys,

I wanted to ask a question regarding risk classification on some bad connections recently identified on a main power switch in a high voltage panel. I don't normally inspect too much high voltage equipment so I want to ensure I feedback the correct data to my client.

the busbar in in question has a black rubber (I assume it is rubber) protective sleeve so emissivity is good. Between phases from a reference compressor panel operating at the same load, scenario and circumstances we have a dT of around 20C.

To be specific in Comp/panel 1, ph2 is 64C and ph1 & ph3 closer to 50C. On a reference compressor panel all phases around 40C. I note ph1&3 is displaying slightly elevated temperature likely due to the heat transfer from ph2.

No reflection concerns influencing measurement, ambient temp in the panel 19C, RH 59%. No solar loading or weather issues. Temperature analysis confirms a thermal gradient, indicating a connection issue.

The equipment is operating at full load between 500-600 volts

Can I give this as a serious fault rating, according to ansi/neta 2015 or do I need to be cautious given we are dealing with high voltage equipment.

Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2017, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2017 10:50 AM by jvoitl.)
RE: Busbar question
(10-26-2017 02:34 PM)Dexla Wrote:  hi guys,

I wanted to ask a question regarding risk classification on some bad connections recently identified on a main power switch in a high voltage panel. I don't normally inspect too much high voltage equipment so I want to ensure I feedback the correct data to my client.

the busbar in in question has a black rubber (I assume it is rubber) protective sleeve so emissivity is good. Between phases from a reference compressor panel operating at the same load, scenario and circumstances we have a dT of around 20C.

To be specific in Comp/panel 1, ph2 is 64C and ph1 & ph3 closer to 50C. On a reference compressor panel all phases around 40C. I note ph1&3 is displaying slightly elevated temperature likely due to the heat transfer from ph2.

No reflection concerns influencing measurement, ambient temp in the panel 19C, RH 59%. No solar loading or weather issues. Temperature analysis confirms a thermal gradient, indicating a connection issue.

The equipment is operating at full load between 500-600 volts

Can I give this as a serious fault rating, according to ansi/neta 2015 or do I need to be cautious given we are dealing with high voltage equipment.

Thank you in advance.

Looks like something that should be checked at the next opportunity, not necessarily and emergency. Would help to see images, both IR and digital if you can attach them.
10-27-2017, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2017 02:17 PM by Dexla.)
RE: Busbar question

Hi, thank you for replying.

Sure thing, see attached thermogram of one of the main power switches (there were a few with similar issues).

Please note i had to reduce the file quality as it was too large to attach, so i snipped and re saved it.

Regards