Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can you take an infrared reading of a 12ft deep steam line to detect leakage?
09-13-2018, 09:24 AM
Can you take an infrared reading of a 12ft deep steam line to detect leakage?
There's a steam line running between a plant and a facility and now there's a leakage in that line. To avoid unearthing the entire line (which is buried 12 ft deep) is it possible to use an infrared camera to detect the leakage? The depth is obviously of concern.
Thanks!
-Afaf
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2018, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2018 10:04 AM by jvoitl.)
RE: Can you take an infrared reading of a 12ft deep steam line to detect leakage?
(09-13-2018 09:24 AM)aazzouz Wrote:  There's a steam line running between a plant and a facility and now there's a leakage in that line. To avoid unearthing the entire line (which is buried 12 ft deep) is it possible to use an infrared camera to detect the leakage? The depth is obviously of concern.
Thanks!
-Afaf

I've done it with a 6 foot deep line with excellent results. Doesn't cost anything so go ahead and give it a try. Solar loading can be a problem so do it before sunrise in the morning before the sun has time to heat the ground. Please let us know the results.
10-12-2018, 11:03 AM
RE: Can you take an infrared reading of a 12ft deep steam line to detect leakage?
[quote='aazzouz' pid='1031' dateline='1536845093']
There's a steam line running between a plant and a facility and now there's a leakage in that line. To avoid unearthing the entire line (which is buried 12 ft deep) is it possible to use an infrared camera to detect the leakage? The depth is obviously of concern.
Thanks!

Can you tell me if this was a success? I have the same issue, but with hot water 20 feet.
10-13-2018, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2018 12:06 PM by JKEngineer.)
It's not always easy or cheap to just try it. For example, the work site could be in a different state.

An alternative is to estimate what the performance of the physical system will be based on the physics of heat transfer. This can be done with simulation software.

I have attached a paper I presented at the SPIE Thermosense conference in 1999. One of the examples there is an estimation of the ground surface temperature profile over a buried hot water line. It is a sample, as described in the paper, and has a lot of simplifications, especially as regards the choice of properties of the "ground" matrix. Nevertheless, perhaps it will spur some thought about options to "just try" that make sense for various situations. Situations that make sense are those that are: remote, expensive, require a lot of possible setup, or are considerably different from existing experience.

Jack

Attached File(s)
.pdf  FEAasToolwFi_.PDF (Size: 294.17 KB / Downloads: 4)

Jack Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
1-718-884-6644

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Inspecting Steam Traps Gary Orlove 0 2,948 02-13-2013 12:20 PM
Last Post: Gary Orlove