Welcome to the NEW Infrared Training Forum. To view the old message board, please click here.World Class Infrared Training for Thermography Professionals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thermal images through cages
09-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Thermal images through cages
I use thermal imaging for research on thermal biology of birds and mammals. I have always been suprised when taking thermal images of caged birds that the wire mesh/cage bars often do not appear on the image and the full image of the bird can be seen.
I have 2 questions: (1) what is the physical explanation for this? and (2) what is the maximum bar width before they start to appear in the image?
Thanks, Dominic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2012, 05:18 AM
RE: Thermal images through cages
Firstly there is an excellent post here http://forum.infraredtraining.com/showthread.php?tid=45

You will see the same thing with visual cameras, it depends on a number of factors, not just the bar width. The distance from the camera to the bar, distance from the bar to the object, depth of field, focal length etc etc should all have an influence.
09-06-2012, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2012 06:00 AM by Dominic McCafferty.)
RE: Thermal images through cages
Thanks, this is helpful to see how the focus of the grating dissapears. I guess that the closeness of the grid to the target is one of the most crucial factors: as viewed from a distance the grid is only blocking a relatively small percentage of the radiation received by the camera. It will reduce the total amount of radiation received and therefore this will account for the "defocussed grating adding its lower temperature radiation while blocking some of the target higher radiation at the same time". Hence the temperatures of birds I measure through a cage may be lower than if I measured them inside the cage.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Analyzing thermal images of water in motion SuneN 6 2,851 02-24-2016 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuneN
  Pixel values when stiching thermal images SuneN 1 1,795 02-22-2016 11:21 AM
Last Post: Gary Orlove
  Stitching thermal images Maureen Young 1 3,085 07-24-2015 05:26 AM
Last Post: Bobberry